Monday, May 14, 2012

My Mom Plays the Drums

After coming back from the dead multiple times, my dear laptop finally, irrevocably died.  I've scheduled the funeral AND my posts . . . for the next few days--thank God my friend let me use her computer.  I hope you'll like what I have planned.  I guess I'll be creating my W.I.P with good ol' pen and paper for the next while.  That's how I wrote The Golden Sky, so maybe this won't be so bad after all.
    
    On a side note, an AMAZING review just went up for Bible Girl.  You can find that here: Book Review: Bible Girl


    Now, onto the post of the day.

    I know this is a day late--since Mother's Day slipped away far too quickly--but if you haven't read about her before, I just wanted to tell you about my mom.
    She is amazing.  She's been a foundation in my life, someone who was there no matter what.  If I'm overly confident, it's because of her.  If I refuse to give up--it's because of her.  If I like my hair pulled back so tightly people think I've had a facelift . . . it's because of her.
    She's one of the most resilient, awe-inspiring people you could meet.  Her spirit shines sweet and kind.  She seems quiet and meek, but don't let that fool ya, inside she rages with hilarity and every day that woman makes me laugh.  One time Cade teased her too much, when he turned, my mom threw a dishrag in his face.  It was epic, better than when Neil walked on the moon!
    Well, when my mom was two years old, her father died.  Then, when she was three, her mother left her along with three of her siblings.  Their aunt and uncle raised them.  Things were hard, but my mother never gave up.  She refused to let things pull her down into the mud of life.  She knew she was meant to be something great--a success.  
    During her sixth grade year, all of the students took a test to see who qualified for the percussion program.  My mom passed with unrivaled talent.  I've always imagined the test.  
    In my imagination, the teacher stood by a full drum set and asked, "What's rhythm?"
    Some sap raised his hand.  "Isn't that when you tap your foot to the music?"
    Another kid with preteen pimples probably whispered.  "Is it when you clap at church?"
    I bet that's when my modest, twelve-year-old mother rolled her eyes.  She maybe walked to the front of the class room and hollered, "Listen here, children.  You wanna know what rhythm is?  Get a load of this!"
    Then she sat at those drums, and she played the heck out of 'em!  Saints watched from Heaven.  Jesus smiled because some-a-day He knew that Italian sweetheart would live for Him.  All those kids cheered at the end, because it's not everyday you realize, you're going to school with a legend.  I bet that was her first standing ovation--I BET!    
    So, my mom emerged as a sixth grade icon.  She became so fantastic, she used her skill to win Miss C. E. U., and later Miss Carbon County.  Then shortly after that, she won my dad.
    Here's a picture so you know I'm not lying about her beauty.  (If you doubted me--shame on you!)


Photobucket

    Later my dad swept her off those rhythmic feet, when he asked her to marry him.  They had three kids: a chemist, a mechanical engineer, and a blogger.
Photobucket

    So, I'd like to show you a video of my mother playing the drums.  
    Sorry about the shaky camera, I started crying a bit during this because I kept thinking about how lucky I am to have such a great mother.  Then, my mom smiled at me and I got a case of the giggles.  Blame it on 
P. M. S..  Blame it on lack of sleep.  Heck, blame it on LOVE!
    Oh, and every time I say "awesome" in this video, please imagine a different (more creative) word in place of it.  Maybe epic, fantastic, joyous.  I'm not good at public speaking.
    Without further ado, here she is folks:  


13 comments:

  1. Quite awesome (or epic or fantabulous), also a lovely mothers day tribute to your mom.

    ps: thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think AWESOME is the right word! Her hands were flying!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was really fun! You are so fortunate to have such a great mom, Elisa. I don't know anybody else whose mom is a cool drum player! Thanks for sharing her with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're mom is so amazing! I hope she had a wonderful Mother's Day and that you did as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow no wonder you said awesome so many times, as that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Go mom! Your voices are sweet and your laughter is contagious. I love "There's the bathroom oh there's the cross." LOL!

    As for your computer, sounds familiar. Was she an HP? Apparently they don't have long lives. I talked about mine flat lining. I finally got a replacement two weeks ago and her name is MJ. The old one is back in the original box in the bottom of my closet. I want to physically see it recycled. I can't bear to #1 throw away something that still looks brand new, #2 throw away something somebody might fix and then have access to all the stuff still on there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Musical talent runs in your family, so what other instruments do we have to look forward to hearing in the near future? You are so lucky to have such a fantastic family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember this post and I'm happy for a rerun. It's excellent and your mom is amazing. If my mom had played the drums, she would have hit us with the drum sticks when she got mad.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome works for me. Make sure you let you mom know that a 65 year old guy in NC thinks she's "HOT". She was when she was young and still has it big time. I had the best time watching her play those drums. You are certainly blessed to have that wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Elisa, your mom really seems like a super lady, you are very fortunate. I hope everything is well with you and your family. Sorry I haven't been around, when I get better I'll write more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved that! How fun that must be to have a mom who plays the drum and does it so well! And she's beautiful, I see where you got it!

    I especially love it that your mom and Melynda's mom are both about my age. That means the two of you could be my daughters. Wow! That always blows me away. Ask your mom if she still feels like a girl......I do and I suspect most of us do.

    Wonderful way to say I love You to your mom on Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww...Mother's are AMAZING!
    I love that picture of your Mom when she was young- you are right- she is SO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete